Thursday, June 10, 2010

MHA Conference, Day 1

Reporting to you live on site at the Mental Health America Conference at the glorious Hyatt Regency on Capital Hill, Washington D.C... This. Is. Poop Snacks.

It's a fine affair here at the 2010 Mental Health America conference, a convention certainly of sizable proportions, possibly even super-sizable proportions. All the big hitters are out and flaunting their interest in things mental health related -- Mindy Appelbaum, Jack Holker, and of course, the incorrigible Willie the ReRe. Although I haven't had a chance to talk with them as of yet, they certainly seem humble and sympathetic to one another's personal histories.

Many rookie MHAers are also showing themselves around in a meek fashion. Mainly Amys and Craigs, this group seems to simply appreciate a change in scenery and talking to people "not from around here". I've noticed them mingling with others of their age group, which I 1) happen to be a part of and 2) am now banished from, having started an anecdote by trying to bite my own ear and hitting my wrist to my shoulder, having taken an amateur cue from Willie the ReRe. Needless to say, I should have stayed in journalism school.

Though the conference has not officially started for me (I got here too late for the opening night gala and the lobster-taco cook-off), I will say that there's an unmistakable atmosphere here. It's exciting to behold such an "in-person" congregation of strangers and I'd like to add that I'm strangely aroused by the fact that this wasn't done on Facebook.

Until tomorrow --

Poop Snacks

1 comment:

  1. God's Foyer would be the lounge portion of the bar that is called Heaven when Heaven is a bar. You know, after we die.

    ReplyDelete