Wednesday, June 9, 2010

I See What You Did There


This shit is fantastic.
It's a site where artists can upload instances of others, often blatantly, caught stealing and redistributing another person's work. Theoretically, it is a useful tool that helps the original artists maintain control over their art and gives them an opportunity to launch cease and desist letters, preserving the spirit of ownership. Of course, that can't be the truth. For me this growing compendium of failure is a means of entertainment; probably designed with me in mind. Hot-Topic is, not surprisingly, one of the worst and most frequent offenders. They even caught Nick Simmons, son of Kiss guitarist Gene Simmons, who blatantly traced other comics to supply artwork for his own, shittier comic.
My favorite capture so far was of a budding young artist from the UK. She was doing well in University. Her friends liked her and trusted her. She received a handful of awards for her work. Then someone noticed something odd...something familiar.
Turns out this chick hasn't had an original artistic thought ever. Over fifty examples of her tracing and copying were waiting in the open to be discovered. Her portfolio contained, quite literally, another artist's portfolio. She posted them all over the internet, flaunting her lack of craft and intelligence. And she stole everything from a single source; another female artist. Hilarious. I am laughing. Her reputation has been ripped and torn.
"So," I ask myself, pacing and smoking in the barn, "...why?"
---
I LUV BEING AND ARTIST LOL SOFUN, RITE SOOOO HIP?OHSHIT I DONT' EVEN GOT ANY ARTS, BETTER GO AND INTERNET SUM. DERP DERP DERP! TRACING EES EASIER THEN ARTING MY OWN FUCKS. BRING ON THE AWARDS!
HATERS GONNA HATE!
---

No comments:

Post a Comment