Tuesday, March 23, 2010

YEEEAAAAAAHHHHH



There are times in the course of human events when a cultural artifact outstrips it's own relevance. Xzibit did so with "Pimp My Ride." The man was a rapper who became a tv show host who became an internet meme which became a phenomenon. It's hard to think of Xzibit and not think of "Pimp My Ride." When he comes up in conversation (does this happen?) no one ever chimes in with "Oh yeah, his first two albums are great." In fact, no one ever says "Oh, I loved him on 'Pimp My Ride'," either. (I never know where to put the comma or the inner/outer quotes in that situation) He has transcended either of his cultural roots. He belongs to the ages now, as some abstract piece of our society. "Sup Dawg, I heard you like abstraction so I put a replica Picasso in place of your windshield!"

"CSI: Miami" is like this too. I've never seen this show. The most I've ever watched is the very beginning in hopes of catching a great Caruso one-liner in action. I watched the beginning of last night's episode. His son was home from Iraq and was going out to Afghanistan in a week or something. The kid looked like he was 12. And then they discovered the burning corpse of one of the guy's fellow soldiers. And then the "YEEEAAAAAAHHH" from "Won't Get Fooled Again" played. I'm 100% serious. That was the sequence of events. The show is so much more than a television show at this point. In fact, I don't think it is at all relevant as a television show. It's singular contribution to society is going to have been the Youtube video above.

"The victim, an amateur blogger, was thrown from the room of the house and was impaled on the sharp spike of his fence."

"Looks like this will be his... final POST."

YEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

No comments:

Post a Comment