Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A Day in the Life



8:07 AM : I watch as the boy sleeps. Uncertain, I do nothing. Sunlight creeps across the boy's room in a predictable and determined march to rouse him with warm luminescence. In this moment, I am at peace. The curved indent of my smile proves genuine for this fleeting moment, for my peace is ephemeral- my burden immeasurable.

8:17 AM : The boy stirs and rises. I eye him expectantly. For three days it has been the same. I know today shall be no different.

8:19 AM : And so it is not. The boy is filling me with balls. Hateful, disgusting, spherical things. They are as repulsive as they are rotund. How I loathe to feel them inside me. I wish to be rid of them, and there is only one way. The boy knows. The boy knows.

8:44 AM : It has been twenty minutes now. He shows no signs of stopping. I maneuver about the room, unfurling my evasive countermeasures to no effect as he clumsily toddles after me, scooping the freshly-expelled balls off the filthy floor and forcing them back down inside me. My arms flail helplessly in an attempt to block his efforts to poison me.

8:45 AM : In my darkest moments, I consider my own motives for allowing this charade to continue. Am I really trying to keep the balls out? Am I really taking the most erratic course across this floor? Or do I need the balls? They...give me...purpose. Without them...I am a bucket with a hole. What else would I do? What else would I be able to do? Please spirit, take me away from this place.

9:05 AM : I'm Mr. Bucket. Balls pop out of my mouth.

9:48 AM : I'm Mr. Bucket. Balls pop out of my mouth.

10:54 AM : I'm Mr. Bucket. Balls pop out of my mouth.

11:09 AM : I'm Mr. Bucket. Balls pop out of my mouth.

12:04 PM : I'm Mr. Bucket. Balls pop out of my mouth.

3:48 PM : I'm Mr. Bucket. Balls pop out of my mouth.

4:14 PM : I'm Mr. Bucket. Balls pop out of my mouth.

5:58 PM : I'm Mr. Bucket. Balls pop out of my mouth.

7:18 PM : I'm Mr. Bucket. Balls pop out of my mouth.

8: 49 PM : I'm Mr. Bucket. Balls pop out of my mouth.

9: 12 PM : I'm Mr. Bucket. Balls pop out of my mouth.

10: 15 PM : The boy sleeps. But for how long?

No comments:

Post a Comment