Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Common Cold (UPDATE)

When I was a child, my mother never let me stay home from school unless I had a fever or was throwing up. This led me to an idiotic policy when it comes to taking sick days.

I am currently laid low by an unpleasant cold. And I even called in and took the morning off so I could sleep. But then I called and told my boss that I will be coming in this afternoon. Which is moronic. What I really need is just rest and fluids and instead I'll be getting a healthy dose of sitting at a reception desk for five hours.

It's not like I'm a brain surgeon or an air traffic controller or anything. There's never a "if I'm not there, how will they get by?" moment. I'm a receptionist. And there are five other receptionists. They'd do just fine. But my mother unwittingly ruined me for the working world. And I steadfastly refuse to allow myself a day to recuperate. And so instead of missing a day or two of work and getting better quickly, I'll drag this out over a week or two of being miserable at work and never fully rested.

It's no one's fault but my own.

And my mother's. I blame my parents for all my failings.

What?

Oh, the picture. Stone COLD Steve Austin? Get it. Ah, fuck you. I'm sick, this is the best you're getting.

UPDATE: Yeah, I started feeling feverish after I actually got out of bed. So now I'm home. I guess this post was sort of pointless and stupid in retrospect. Fuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment