Thursday, March 4, 2010

Oh, hey, good morning!

Good morning!


It is the simplest thing in the world to say.


As a receptionist, I say it probably a hundred times every day.


And you know what? A ton of people say precisely nothing in return. How hard is it to just say "good morning" right back? Or even just grunt? An unintelligible acknowledgement of the fact that another human being has greeted you? I'd even accept the "what's up" head nod. The very briefest and least taxing movement of the neck would suffice. But no. Most people just move along.


I don't understand it. I do it as a reflex. If someone I don't know greets me, I still greet them back. I don't even register it happening. It's just something that goes on. I could pass Pol Pot on the street and if he said "good morning," I guarantee you I'd say "hey, how's it going," or something, without even thinking. It also helps that I'm not sure I could identify Pol Pot just on sight. But I really wanted to avoid Godwin's law. So I went with Pol Pot.


Ugh.


Good morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment