Monday, February 15, 2010

What is wrong with this picture?

Take your time.

It took me a second too.

See, I'm watching the qualifying heats of the Olympic snowboard cross right now. Why I'm doing this is the probably the bigger question since I'm not a snowboard fan nor do I understand what makes it difficult nor do know any of the competitors nor do I care in the slightest.

But what struck me is that half of these gentlemen are wearing blue jeans while they compete. I'm not trying to be all George F. Will about this, but it just struck me as strange that these guys are wearing jeans while competing in their sport at the highest level. Particularly in a sport that is ostensibly about who can get to the bottom of the track fastest. In other sports concerning where speed (aerodynamics, wind resistance, streamlining etc) is an issue we have standard outfits like this and this. But these guys are wearing the same clothes I wear to work.

Which, incidentally, I didn't have today.

Three day weekends are awesome. Yet disconcerting. Because you don't feel like you're on vacation but you're definitely not at work. It's weird. In some ways, its the best, because you trick yourself into thinking you never have work again. For one glorious extra day, the world waits for you. You are like Flashman. For a day.

Then it's back to the tedium of your clerical administrative job? What you don't have one of those?

Oh.

1 comment: