Monday, May 10, 2010

The Great White North

I was in Canada this weekend. I'd never been before. Conclusion: it's exactly like America only colder and more passive aggressive.

My trip started out well when immediately after the plane landed, a severe thunderstorm hit Toronto. FUN FACT! If there's a thunderstorm at or near an airport, you can't get off the plane because the lightning strikes in the big open area like that would kill you! And the ground-crew can't go out to direct the plane in either. So we waited on the tarmac for 2 or 3 hours. I was actually totally fine with it. I had my copy of The Stand and I am pretty chatty with strangers when the right circumstances present themselves. I was cracking jokes about being Snake Plissken and about being on an episode of Lost. I was met with blank stares. My initial thought was that maybe they didn't have those things in Canada. But then I realized that no, they did indeed know what Lost and Escape from New York were. They just didn't want to talk to me. But unlike New Yorkers, they were too polite to make it apparent to me. In New York, the conversation might go down something like this:

Me: Hey, willya look at us? Stuck here on AN ISLAND... In a PLANE... with a bunch of STRANG--

Other person: SHUT THE FUCK UP!

In Canada, though, I kept chatting away, they kept responding in a non-committal fashion until I kind of bored myself into ending the conversation. There's this Canadian passive-aggressiveness that comes off as nice but isn't really. I dunno. Also, it snowed up there on Saturday night. IT WAS MAY 8TH. MAY 8TH. The eighth day of the fifth month of the year. And it snowed. Did I mention I'm moving to San Diego in September? Because I am. And I didn't realize how much of an improvement that's going to be weather-wise until this weekend.

I went to a mall. All the stores were the same. The ad campaigns were pretty much the same.

And they love hockey up there.

Eh? Oot and aboot.

/makes generic & stereotypical comment about Canadians
//laughs
///cries
////really had a wonderful time

No comments:

Post a Comment