Monday, August 9, 2010

Barbershop Blues

Got my hair cut this afternoon. Was concerned when I walked past my usual barber on the street. She assured me that I would be swiftly taken care of by equally talented employees.
/anxiety
//anxiety
///trust
"Hey, I'm Katie! Sit down."
This seems harmless. Carefully explain desired look. She starts talking.
"So what do you do?"
Blah blah writing blah blah Science Fiction blah movies blah blah blah.
"I LOVE Science Fiction; horror, too! What do you write about? Any books yet?
Promising. Blah blah anthropologist explorers blah tribal communities blah ancient traditions blah blah blah dying inside.
"Oh man, have you ever seen The Dark Crystal?"
/heart skips a beat
Touch, barber. You have taste and are successfully holding conversation that does not bore me, as is typical. I fucking love that movie. Those puppets!
"And those backdrops! You just don't see oil-paintings screened like that anymore. It's been difficult to search through the books lately for quality, what do you recommend?"
The ball is in my court, eh? The annual anthologies are a good start, but I just finished George R. R. Martin's Dreamsongs Volume II if you are interested; I think you would be stunned by his collections.
"Awesome! You'll have to write it down so I don't forget. I've just gotten into Twilight myself."
/sinking feeling
Okay, Whofleck...time for damage control. Yea, my little sister prefers the True Blood books and they seem a bit more interesting to me.
"Oh, I totally agree. The TV series is phenomenal. I just remembered! Heart-Shaped Box. You should read it."
Okay, okay. Not bad at all. Blah blah vacation this summer blah blah.
"Sea Isle!? Awesome. I love that place. Ever been to Shenanigans?"
You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
/silence
//dead stare
"...Would you like your eyebrows trimmed."
No thanks.

everythingwentbetterthanexpected.jpg

1 comment:

  1. I wax, You wax, we all wax for Poop Snacks.

    Droll, yes? YES?

    FUCKING VALIDATE ME!!!!!!!!!

    /is skeptical

    ReplyDelete