Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Behold the Power of Boots


Come, let us scurry about with our sneakers and loafers and low cut duck shoes. Surely this is adequate protection against the rivers of sludge coursing through our gutters. What? ankle deep in the filthy mire? The rain has come and ravaged the mountains of filthy snow? Every crosswalk now must by fjorded and traversed. Parcels and toddlers must be portaged in flat-bed ferries, while we pay the Native American guides for safe passage. I have steel toe waterproof boots, pictured at left. Totally unnecessary? Absolutely. It's like driving an SUV, but with walking. I go out of my way to walk through snow and water when I wear them. It takes a full 30 seconds to lace one up, so I'm going to enjoy the ride. I tuck my jeans into them so everyone confuses me with a jungle explorer. I am nearly 6'4" in them. The days on which wearing the boots is necessary are some of the best days around. Watching people line up to use the one foot width section of cleared sidewalk is so much more fun when you're striding past them with your EZ-Pass footwear. I am one more snowstorm away from kicking down snowmen. And then blogging about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment