Monday, December 20, 2010

Brown Poles and Revelations


What to bring to the holiday party...what to bring to the holiday party...what to bring to the holiday party. The question cycled through my brain all day on Saturday. A party of 50 people or so that would be starting at 10 PM...surely there would be no need to bring more booze. And yet, that's what I had planned on doing. Two sixpacks of nicer beer? Ahh, but then who gets them? The hosts? The guest? A party platter, maybe...but so much work. Chopping and slicing and arranging and then "hey, can I get that tray back?" at the end of a drunken night.

And then, another option.

Oh...oh my my. Oh hell yes. Time to put on that party dress. Disposable plastic bin included? 80 rods per bin? Portable, no-mess delivery system of a snack universally enjoyed? This just might work.

No sooner had I gotten the lid off than people were swooping in for more of the precious brown sticks. I stood, agog, as people passed rods to each other, unopened bottles of vodka, gin, and whiskey left untouched by the soaking drunk partygoers.

Next time you want to be a party hero: don't bother with the fancy booze or small tray of brownies. After a couple hours of "mix your own drinks" with other people's firewater, all anyone wants is a 36 ounce bin of baked sourdough love.


3 comments: